Objective

This is a site dedicated to preserving our rich family history. Please make it a personal goal to write up and post family and personal history stories you know of that are tied to either the posterity or ancestry of Morgan Wilford Harris and Mary Ann Deschamps Harris. All our family members can come here to read the stories and learn about the incredible heritage we have.

Sunday, November 3, 2013

New Shoes

This story was shared with me by Suzanne Francis, daughter of Delene Parry, in an email she sent me in 2011. I left it in her word and only edited to clarify who the people in the story were.

"Your dad (Morgan Deschamps Harris) lived with my family (Delene Parry family) in Ogden for a while before he went on his mission.  I (Suzanne Perry Francis) was like in 2nd or 3rd grade.  He worked at the shoe department at the Bon Marche.  On one occasion I was in need of shoes so mom took me there to get some shoes. I wanted one kind and mom told me I needed some other kind (a more sensible kind than I wanted). We ended in a stalemate and I went home shoeless. I shed many tears that night.  When I woke up the next morning,  there were my prized shoes...your dad had bought them for me.  

"He (Morgan D. Harris) also didn't like gum chewing girls and gave me some money if I wouldn't chew gum for a whole month.  Ask him if he remembers his poem about a "gum chewing girl and a cud chewing cow". I don't remember the entire poem ---just that phrase."

I (Stephanie Harris Waite) heard the poem she refers to many times growing up. It went as follows: "The gum chewing girl and the cud chewing cow, they seem so similar but their is a difference somehow. Oh yes! I see it now! It's the intelligent look on the face of the cow."


No comments: